Sunday, August 29, 2010

It's Sunday morning and I'm sitting here writing. I'm sure {know} that there is plenty of other things that could occupy my time and energy that would serve a much greater purpose than me just sitting and writing. Really, Jaimie? A Sunday morning of writing? I feel that I need it, though. My head is kinda spinning with the end of summer, beginning of school, and other stuff that will be happening. My thoughts are jumbled and not clearly thought out {shocking, I know}... so you may have to weed through the mess of words...

My husband is out on the tractor mowing the lawn. Normally on a Sunday morning, we would be getting kids ready for Sunday School, getting ourselves ready for Sunday School and we'd be heading out the door very shortly. This morning? Not the average Sunday. There is so much that needs to be done that he just can't get done during the week... Hopefully we'll make it to church this morning....

Ethan has been away since Friday night. He won't be coming home until later today. Although I have thoroughly enjoyed the last 36{ish} hours of quiet {no arguing, fighting, whining, complaining}, I certainly miss my freckled face boy.

Maya recently chopped her hair to donate to Locks of Love. It's been a long, slow process for both of us, but the reward for doing something selfless for someone is so... BIG. It was certainly worth the torment of her long hair dangling in her face. After her new hair was revealed, a changed Maya emerged. It's kind of funny, actually. It seems that the length of her hair held all of the bad, ill-mannered, nasty attitude that we've been dealing with. When the hair length went, so did the attitude. I'm so thankful for that.

Landon has been giving me a run for my money lately. I've cleaned off paint pen, highlighter and pencil from my kitchen walls, cleaned up paper towels that were taken off of the roll, retrieved miscellaneous kitchen utensils taken out of their proper homes and intercepted an impromptu viola concert, all in 12 hours. He makes me so tired.

Mike has been working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day. The 10 hours isn't so bad... but the Saturday is hard. Next week, he starts 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. I know "it's part of the job and it could be worse". But really? That doesn't make me feel any better. I have a child who falls apart when his father isn't here. He's slowly been crumbling over the last month and a half. Now with the 7 days and the longer hours? My son won't see his father at all and he is sure to come crashing down... and I have to pick up all the pieces. I'm not ready for it.

I'm tired of people trying to tell me that it will be over soon. Not really the case. Because once he's done with this job, he'll move to something else. I'm tired of people telling me that "it'll be ok and that the extra money is nice". Yeah, the money is nice, but in reality? I'd rather have my husband home. Money is temporary. My husband's involvement with his children lasts a lifetime.
ugh...that's enough about that... I didn't intend to write or gripe about Mike's job. It gets my stomach in a knot. His job sucks. It's my life. I have to deal. That pretty much sums it up.

Anyway, school starts tomorrow, and I have mixed feelings. I've been waiting since July for the kids to go back, but now the reality is setting in and I'm feeling the empty nest approaching. I know it's not completely empty.. they do return everyday and Landon is still here, but the noise will be gone. The activity will be gone. It's bittersweet.

Well, the tractor driver has come back into the house, so I guess it's time to get myself together for church.

No comments:

Post a Comment