Friday, August 6, 2010

a cushy office job.

Tonight I found out how serious "the incident" was...

My husband is a Boilermaker. Please don't ask me what he does, because honestly, I don't know. I do know that he is supervision and makes sure the workers are doing their job and doing it well. The job he is working on entails a lot of digging in preparation for waterlines to be placed. Yesterday, there was "an incident". That's what they're calling it. Apparently, an operator was digging and hit something along the ditch. He scraped it a little but because they didn't know what it was, my husband told them to leave it alone and go to the other end of the trench to continue on. Later that day, they found out what they had hit.

It was a power line that is the backup power source for the Peach Bottom power plant. The entire power plant. A 33KV line. 33,000 volts.

My husband could have died yesterday.

I send my husband to work everyday knowing what he does isn't safe. I send him off to work praying for his safety during his hour plus commute to work. I pray for his safety for his commute home. I pray that he returns to me safely every single day. Some days, I wake up in a cold sweat with a bad feeling and franticly call him to make sure he is ok.

This "incident" was something major and somebody screwed up. And because my husband was standing there, had the bucket really got a hold of that line, he most likely would not have come home... my worst nightmare

I can't even wrap my head around that.

I wish he had kept that information to himself.

I live each day with a faith that God will take care of my family while they're away from me. I know that ultimately, the people who I love the most in this world, are in His hands at all times. But I just can't let go of the worry.

I love my husband.

He is my best friend. My true love. He is the first person I think about in the morning and the last person I think about at night. Really, truly.

I can't imagine my life without him... and I hate that he goes to work in such dangerous conditions. He needs a different job. Like a retail job... or a telemarketer. They're safe, right?








No comments:

Post a Comment