Friday, September 10, 2010

being intentional.

This morning, I attended the funeral of a woman whom I had never met. Strange, you might say. I guess it might have been strange, but this woman was the mother of our close friend. We had to go. In our minds, it wasn't even a question of whether we go or not. Our friends needed to know that we loved them and we were there to support them. She was called home to Jesus unexpectedly, and I've struggled with what I should do for or say to this family. I haven't come up with anything yet... so I just pray.

But as I sat in the pew, I began to wish that I had had the opportunity to meet this woman. From the crowd in the foyer, to the line of waiting people going into the sanctuary, to the group that stayed for the services, it was obvious that she was loved. She made an impact. She made the difference to a lot of people.

So, being the selfish person I am, I started to think about my funeral and who would come. What would they say about me? Who have I made a difference to?

I struggled with that question on the way home. As I planned out my funeral and told my husband what my desires were {I will be holding a stuffed monkey and there will be a loud band playing amazing music}, I began to think about all of the people I love and those I come in contact with and wondered what difference did I make in their lives? Did I even make a difference? Five years after I go home to Heaven, would I even be remembered? What a sobering thought.

I decided recently that I want to live intentionally. I want to love with intention. Too often, I get caught up in my life and what I want to accomplish and end up wondering why people don't love on me. Have I really done that for others? My goal is to love people deliberately. I don't want to ask myself 'what if' later down the road. I want to know that I deliberately cared for and showed those who walk in and out of my life that they mattered.

How would you live intentionally?

1 comment:

  1. Living intentionally is something that I don't have down pat. Sometimes I think I'm doing well, and sometimes I'm floating through life, a little zombie-like. I think living intentionally (for me) means that I remember my purpose. It is to serve my King. It means I plan out (and mostly carry out) a balanced life- work, marriage, friendships, service, youth group, keeping up my house, having people over, writing cards, encouraging, and RESTING, but if my King prods me to do something, I do it. For me, living intentionally means I am more in tune with who God is, who he made me to be, and I stop wasting time on things that don't matter a whole lot- things like what everyone thinks of me or what my I am like compared to anyone else.

    Sometimes I think about what's going to go on at my funeral, too. Thanks for encouraging me to think about it again.

    I love you (although nowhere near perfectly), Jaimie.

    ReplyDelete