Monday, May 24, 2010

Short lived?

My husband is the most hard working, dedicated, amazingly sexy man I've ever met. I love that man probably more than any human being should love another.

The last 9 years of my life, I have been a Boilermaker's wife. In the beginning of Boilermaker World, my husband would work work work A LOT and then he would be laid off for an unknown amount of time. Usually a few day went by until he was called back to work again, sometimes a few weeks. This was a way of life and it was understood that there would be days after a job was completed that he would be home. The longest he was home was 7 months.... that was a long time ...and a long time ago.

Forward 4 years and you find him at the Boilermaker's National Competition in Kansas City, KS. He was one of two from the northeast who went to compete against other Boilermakers around the country. In Boilermaker Land, this is a HUGE deal. Well, my husband won that competition. He took the trophy and the national recognition. After that experience, we was able to go "steady" with a contractor... which means that he works for one contractor and they find work for him to do... so he has steady employment. What an amazing blessing.

So four years have passed since he went steady with Nooter, and now we find ourselves in a familiar, but unfamiliar situation, again. He has been laid off. It's been so long since we've sat in this seat. I am thankful for the time he will be home. He just got done with an outage last week. For those who don't know Boilermaker talk, an outage is when the power plant or refinery schedules time for maintenance to be done on the equipment in the plants. Outages usually consist of a working schedule of 6 or 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. Plus, you have to factor in the hour plus drive back and forth. Outage season is rough... for all involved. So, I am thankful for some time to spend with my love. There's usually very little time that he has to spend at home with us. I'm excited.

He's been home for 3 days.

I may have to kill him.

I am a self proclaimed non-morning person. I don't do mornings. At all. My husband works better in the morning. I sent my alarm for a time that is suitable for me to hit the snooze button for about 45 minutes. His alarm beeps twice and he's up and ready to go. I am able to hit my snooze and get myself out of bed in time to get two children up, dressed, fed and out of the door in time for the bus. I've got it down to a science... usually. Today the alarm went off at 6:15. Guess who was out of bed. Guess who wasn't.

I guess I should fill you in on my little addiction. My little secret... I can not sleep without my fan. This fan has run every night since I was little. It makes a lovely noise and circulates the air beautifully. It is my comfort and it goes everywhere with me. Literally. It packs in my suitcase. This fan is so important that one night right after Mike and I were married, my fan broke. So, I trucked myself to the nearest Walmart, at midnight, to purchase a new fan. It's that important.

This morning my husband woke up at the first beep of the alarm, I remained snug in bed hitting the snooze and my fan whirled around. Then it happened. He came into the room and shut my fan off.

Can I tell you how ticked off I was when he did that? It completely ruined my entire morning ritual. Listen Mr. Chipper-in-the-morning, don't mess with my fan. I'm glad you're home and everything, but you're new here.

I calmly came down the stairs (after I finally got up) and very calmly told him that if he planned on living, he should never EVER touch my fan again. I'm not a violent person, but I will have to hurt you.

I'm hoping that my joy of having my husband home isn't short lived. I want to enjoy my time with him... but leave my fan alone.

I have issues.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahahaha! Dang, I always thought Mike was smarter than that.

    ReplyDelete