Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'll never be the same

If someone would have told me 5 years ago that I would be hanging out with these people, I would have looked them in the eye and told them they were crazy. There was no way I would be be friends with them. Never. 5 years ago, I had an almost 5 year old and and a 3 year old. This group was so far from my comfort zone, there was no possible way that I would have anything in common with them. And if I were to be honest, they scared the crap out of me. I was so intimidated by them it was almost ridiculous.

God had other plans, and it seems as though those 4 words are the theme of my life. God always has other plans than the ones I have for myself. You would think by now I would just realize that. Anything that I may have planned is pretty much going to go out the window.

Anyway, back to these people. So, I started to hang out with this group, although I was so incredibly nervous. Would they like me? Would they care if I was even there? Do I really belong? Even though it went against everything that I knew of myself, I felt as though this was where I belonged. It was almost like I was going home. It was weird.

So, the last 4 years of my life, I have been consumed with hanging with these people. And you know what? They have taught me so much. Here, I was thinking that I would have something to teach them. I would tell them about life. I would be the one giving. Boy, was I was wrong.

Let me tell you about these people. They are fun. They are crazy. They are some of my best friends. They are the most loving, caring, humorous, life loving, life giving people I have ever met. This group of individuals genuinely love each other and build each other up. They genuinely love me and continually build me up as well. They are all individuals. They all offer different things to the group. They all have different gifts and different interests... but somehow, they all mesh together making one family. I can be honest with them and know that they won't walk out on me. I can be completely myself, insane and goofy, and I know that they won't judge. They'd probably join in.

I think about these people all the time. And I truly mean all of the time. If there is an hour that goes by without thinking of at least one them, I'd be surprise. These kids have changed my life. They've changed what I think. They've challenged me and they've accepted me into their family. They accept my imperfections.

I love these people. And knowing them has made me a better person. It has made me a better mother. It has made me a better friend. And because of these people, I will never be the same.

2 comments:

  1. Like, like, like.
    Can I just copy and paste this for my own blog?! :-)
    PS. They- I- wouldn't be the same without you, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaimie, I just read your "About Me" section. I love it! Reading it literally caused me to glow inside.
    But of course I love you more:-).

    ReplyDelete